What is Bruxism?
Do you find yourself waking up with a stiff, sore jaw? Do you experience mild headaches more often than you should? You may be suffering from a condition known as Bruxism, which is excessive clenching and grinding of the teeth. Those who have Bruxism may unknowingly grind their teeth while they are awake or more commonly, during sleep.
What are the causes and effects of Bruxism?
The singular cause of Bruxism cannot be pinpointed, however, there are several risk factors that may increase your chance of experiencing Bruxism. These risk factors include:
- Age. It is very common for adults to experience Bruxism due to the stressors they may experience from day to day. Children commonly experience Bruxism as well, however, it is known to dissipate as they get older.
- Increased stress or anxiety. Stress and anxiety, as well as anger, can lead to teeth grinding.
- Hereditary. Bruxism tends to be hereditary; therefore, if your parents or immediate family members suffers with Bruxism, it is not uncommon for you to have Bruxism as well.
Bruxism can affect people in several ways. Some of the damaging effects may be short-term and disappear when Bruxism is treated. Others who go an extended amount of time without being treated may suffer from long-term, possibly permanent effects.
These effects include:
- Damage to the teeth, restorations, jaw or crowns.
- Limitation of mouth opening.
- Severe facial or jaw pain.
- Inflamed and receding gums.
- Tension-type headaches and earaches.
- Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ).
If you or someone you know is experiencing any symptom pointing towards Bruxism, Rockefeller Cosmetic Dentistry can help. Our elite specialists care about your health and overall comfort. We thoroughly evaluate each of our patients in order to provide you with the most effective treatment option. When dealing with Bruxism, the most effective treatment option is a customized mouth guard.
At Rockefeller Cosmetic Dentistry, our professionally made mouth guards are set out to accomplish the following:
- Prevent further damage
- Protect your teeth
- Decrease headaches
- Decrease jaw pain
- Provide you with a better night’s sleep
Scans and impressions are taken within our office to create your personalized, perfectly fitted mouth guard. Following the impressions, we have our patients come in for a fitting to ensure that the guard fits just right. They are to be worn each night to reduce clenching and grinding of the teeth. From just one night of use, you will experience a better nights sleep and less tension in the jaw.
In addition, we treat a disorder that often gets pushed aside. Sleep Apnea is a sleep disorder in which breathing stops and starts repeatedly. We welcome all patients who snore, wake up feeling groggy, or experience intermittent sleep. We provide full sleep evaluations and offer custom-fitted sleep apnea appliances as a solution to all patients who suffer from this disorder. Our Sleep Apnea appliances effectively treat sleep apnea and provide you with a snore-free, great night’s sleep.